Thursday, February 21, 2008

Growth

What a busy few days. And now it's full steam ahead.

Academic spouse and I have decided that we will definitely stay put. For him a move to set up anew would be a step back, or at best sideways. For me there is huge potential. But events this week have lead me to think that I can realise that potential a touch closer to home.

The support for me to set up my own lab is quite remarkable. I have colleagues keen to move with me, senior staff at the host institution contacting me regularly to set up meetings. Next week I will negotiate the setup, salary support and general package. I'm sure to ask for too little but I'm excited at the prospect.

My dearest friend and I were chatting about change today and I remarked that it helps in this business if you're not risk averse. I'm about to say no to five years salary support, new lab, new facilities, mentoring etc etc to set up my own group. This is the make or break. If I fail here then clearly I'm not cut out for science. If within three years I can develop a self-sustaining research group then I'll have grown in ways I never imagined possible. Well, the grey hair is predictable I guess........!

I hope there's not too much fallout from my current boss when I break the news. By this time next week a new world will have dawned.

No comments: