Thursday, March 27, 2008

The way forward

Today I met with the director of the research institute I hope to move to. He is a well-respected scientist, having made significant discoveries in his field that have had international impact. He was a most interesting man and clearly very astute. He was extremely respectful but nevertheless asked incisive, probing questions. It was a delight! He talked about the institute's need for leadership in the role I am proposing to hold, but emphasised that good science should underpin the group's activities. This is the first time someone has clearly outlined a realistic plan to support my science and yet assist my development as an academic leader. Brilliant. Hurrah.

Today was also the first time my husband has taken one of our kids into work for the day with him. I couldn't possibly count the number of times I've dragged kids in to meetings, developed new artwork for every staff member in our group, raided the tea room fridge for milk... What was so impressive about this event was not actually that my husband did this, because he helps more than most men I know. The best part was how excited my 5 year old was when I met to pick them up in the afternoon. He had such a happy day and so much to tell me about and was really enjoying his Dad's company. Of course, there is a bonus to all of this, in that my husband is probably now more inclined to consider repeating this (5yo watched DVD on Dad's laptop during their team meeting, much to the amusement of the group, and then attended lunch with a bunch of visiting professors who were regaled with stories of said DVD etc etc).

Suddenly it all feels achievable. I see now why surfers like riding the crest on a big swell day.

No comments: