Friday, March 14, 2008

Weary

I'm exhausted, but can't sleep. The last two days at work have challenged me to the core. All I can think about is that I've sacrificed things on the home front so that I can try to excel in academia. So when that world starts to implode (people sense something is up in the group) and I'm on the receiving end of that frustration then I do start to wonder whether it's worth it at all. One of my colleagues said I'd lost my chirpy demeanor; up until now I've always been so good at the facade but perhaps the cracks are beginning to show.

Two years ago I was told that women academics with children who choose to work don't deserve special treatment. Who wants special treatment? I just want EQUAL treatment. And not to be chastized in the workplace like a child.

Little girl's just woken from sleep, which is a nice opportunity for a sorely needed cuddle!

1 comment:

The bean-mom said...

Oh, I'm *so* sick of childless people claiming that parents in the workplace all want "special treatment!"

Good luck with all that you're doing, both in and out of work. Enjoy that cuddle time with your little one!