Thursday, October 16, 2008

Maybe research isn't for me

When I discussed my contract for the new job, they said that my CV would need to go to promotions committee as I was being appointed at a given level that would normally require it. "It's just a formality" I was told.

Woops! That formality turned out to be something altogether different as I was NOT given the same level. So although they keep saying "oh, we'll pay you what we agreed" I am being demoted!

I attended an interview for a fellowship yesterday and their parting words were "you've done very well to be short-listed", which is like saying "thanks, but no thanks".

Today, our grant rounds were announced and none of the three grants I was on got funded.

So I feel relatively rejected and saw a tenured teaching position advertised at my old institution, which I would more than qualify for. Maybe the life of no money year to year is not for me after all. Or perhaps I'll feel different after some sleep?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

2 comments:

ScientistMother said...

No!! Research is totally for you. I think you're more frustrated with not getting what you were promised. Can you talk to someone to figure out what happened?

Me said...

Thanks scientistmother. Yeah, I suspect you're right in that I was totally flabbergasted by that move! I got told that they wanted me to have more first author publications. I'm not sure that demoting me is suddenly going to make that happen though...

I spoke to a colleague today about the tenured teaching job and he cocked his head to one side and said "nahhhhh... you'd hate that. You love research". I guess it's true but at times when the rejections come in so quick and fast it's easy to think that security would be better. The grass is always greener I suppose.