Monday, October 6, 2008

Who do you work for?

Like your first day at school, starting a new job is exciting, confusing and a jumble of new experiences. There's your name tag, your room key, your swipe card and the fundamentals such as internet access. Of course, I have absolutely NONE of these and so after lugging many heavy boxes in the rain I organised the box that is my office and sat down to edit a paper. I haven't edited a paper in weeks and it felt really really good. If only I could have access electronic databases to get references for the paper.....

So the first day jitters were worth the realisation that this is it. My new path has begun to unfold before me. It'll take a bit of getting used to.

With every piece of paperwork (to organise voicemail, internet, keys, swipe cards, toilet rights etc) I was asked "who do you work for?", to which I answered the head of the stream I'm in.
Not satisfied with this response the next question was "But whose group are you in?", to which I responded "oh, I am starting up a new team"
"Great, what's YOUR group called?"
"Ummmm.... well it's blah-blah-blah, but maybe the name will change"
"oh, OK well just let us know Dr SM".

Gulp. Splutter. Uuurgh....
It was SO like when I got married and I had to change from "my partner" to "my HuSbAnD", or when I went to collect a new bank card and they made me sign while they witnessed me, but I'd never signed my new name before. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS. I changed my name. oooh errr (much to my husband's dismay, actually. But it was that or change my surname by deed poll so he let me get away with it).

I will need to get used to the idea that I'm the group leader and the group will study blah-blah-blah. I'll need to make sure I don't apologise for my presence and that I get over the embarrassment of pretending I know what I'm doing etc. I think I have imposter syndrome but I plan to be cured within a week.

Anyway, that's it. Like a marriage, the party's over and now it's time to get down to the hard work of making sure this contract lasts. Maybe not 'til death us do part, but I'm definitely in for the long haul. As long as they get me some internet access before the diamond anniversary.

No comments: