Thursday, November 6, 2008

High speed shenanigans

One month in and it's all systems go. I have a new office, new labs, new space request, new staff member, new admin crap, new tea room, new politics, new horizons.

No new grants and no new papers but who's counting? well, I am.

I have a plan and it involves shedding crap collaborators who continue to give me a hard time, finishing off projects that give me central chest pain whenever I think of them (seriously) and I want to shed a few pounds by Christmas. I think I'll manage all but the last one.

How is it? It's good. Exciting, and terrifying all at once. In the past two weeks people have realised that I am on site and have started asking me for help, advice, collaboration etc. So that's good but I still need to finish off a whole lot of other work.

I've also had the pleasure of meeting my 'competition' (internationally, that is) and we now plan to collaborate! I offered something I knew he would like (more data) and he needs some skills I happen to have. Sounds like a plan.

Meanwhile, Academic Spouse is away for work more times than I care to think about between now and Christmas but as long as we all stay healthy then it'll be OK.

I feel like I'm tearing down a highway at high speed and just hoping to goodness that I don't lose control and crash and burn. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzoooooooooooooooommmmm!

No comments: