Tuesday, November 25, 2008

When bugging your senior colleague is futile

Papers are a significant issue for me right now. Kids got in the way of steady output. That and writing 55 grants in four years, being the 'go-to' girl for all problems in my previous lab. The glue.

WHOOPS! No track record. UNfundable.

So, I've been proactive and tried to implement a plan for publications with my old mentor. He agreed to a paper per week until they're all out (there's 15!) but of course in the first week renegs.

What to do, what to do?

Now that I'm a big girl running my own lab I guess the idea is not to perpetuate this style of 'leadership'. So I'm now kind of (but not really I suppose) in conflict. It would be easy to say "well, I didn't get an easy run so you lot can stand by while I control your futures". The better approach is avoid repeating the errors of others. Indeed, when old mentor suggested that I'd be OK at my new institution because he'd taught me all he know it was very easy to wholeheartedly agree...

No comments: