Thursday, September 4, 2008

Publish or Perish

I"M PERISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today has been a bit of a crapola sort of day.
1) Really cool paper got rejected by super cool journal. Really cool paper probably actually sucks enormously but I was surprised today at how bad I felt after this news. I have no trouble whatsoever getting grants rejected (well, aside from the huge impact it has on my ability to actually do research. I just seem to be able to accept that this is part of research, I bounce back and look for the next opportunity). But papers being rejected is something else. At least the really cool probable-nobel-laureate co-author emailed to say that the reviews seemed ill-informed.

2) Local ethics committee has decided our amendments are too substantial and require a total resubmit. Doh! Like, HELLOoooooooooooooo. We're not kicking small children whilst drinking tequila and laughing about it. Groan. Time consuming. Annoying. Totally understand why they're doing what they're doing but I am still annoyed.

3) Random research nurse insinuated that I had failed in my duty of care to a patient tonight and so I came home a) late b) grumpy c) tired, and did I mention GRUMPY?!!!!!!!!!! Spoke to clinical mentor who described said individual as a "d$*!head" (pardon me), which made me feel better because ClinicalMentor never swears. Re-read my report and decided that not only had I been very clear about the patient's needs, I'd followed up appropriately. Groan. Grumpy. Annoyed.

Amongst it all, I managed to be a total noo-noo to my kids, my parents in law (who leave tomorrow morning and won't see their grandchildren for another couple of years), AcademicSpouse and probably even the cat. But he deserves it because he smells bad.

I will bounce back from the dejected feelings post-paper-rejection. Perishing would make me yet another statistic and I don't want to be a mere statistic just yet. Not unless it's because I fall into the rare category of She Who Has It ALL!

No comments: