Wednesday, September 3, 2008

We are good for take off

Position descriptions will be finalised (by moi!) today. Contracts will then be drawn up. A few problems with my source of income, given that one of my grants depends on me retaining an appointment at the current place (GROAN...........). Met with more new people at new place to talk about new ideas and I feel invigorated. It's a nice vibe there and I hope it's the right decision. I think it is. Oh, heck, I have NO idea whether this will be professional suicide but I'll go down fighting.

Office refit.
Move data.
Move students.
Move staff.
New phone and data points to room
etc etc etc.

Meanwhile, my washing machine broke down and it took one week for the company to send a guy to attend for one minute (and NOT a second more, I promise you) only to tell me "I can't do this job. She'll need to go to the repair shop". ARGH! etc etc etc

This weekend my kitchen is being removed entirely so for two weeks we'll be living on take out (I'm thrilled to be honest...!) before the next one is installed. It's gonna be rough for a few weeks here...

Oh, and an authorship update. Another of my students met with OldBoss and me last week to discuss papers and thesis write up. My role in the work has been diminished to third or fourth author and when I contested this (because the person who will be second author - yes, I KNOW if it's not first or last it doesn't really count, but it's the bloody principle here... - has done very little, has no idea about the experimental design, implementation, analysis or interpretation) I was told "you don't want to spend your career making enemies, and you were signed on as a supervisor after second author". WHAT?!!!!!! Yes, I was signed on because 1) second author didn't have the expertise in the necessary area, 2) second author abused the student publically and provided no scientific support. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

So I guess what I'm getting at here is that even though all of this feels chaotic and hectic and downright dusty, messy and frustrating, I think it's time for me to take the reigns and get this ship off the ground. And mix some poorly recalled metaphors, of course.

3, 2, 1....

No comments: