Tuesday, July 8, 2008

It's raining again

In a completely unprecedented turn of events, I received a phone call from a fellow I met recently at a conference overseas. He's heard about my boss' departure and wanted to chat to me about a job opportunity. HHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Sorry, but I can't hide my delight here, because for many a year I've had people hone in on my biggest weakness, which is lack of confidence. Well, fluctuating confidence really, with a distinct winning edge for the 'lack of' days!

So it's a real buzz. Of course, this particular academic department has good and bad points, like them all. I was very clear and upfront (probably some folk out there will advise against this approach) and said that I was in the final stages of negotiations elsewhere and that I was flattered (yes, I used that word...) but I didn't want to give them the run around. This fellow was really nice, and asked whether I'd at least consider speaking to the head honcho (a really nice, if slightly scary, guy) before I signed any new contracts etc. Whilst I haven't got a contract I'd be a fool not to keep open these other options and so I said I'd be happy to chat if they felt that it was worth their while. So we'll see.

My concerns about being pigeon-holed by my next move as an "X" researcher rather than a "Y" researcher were allayed a bit last night too. I spoke to a clinical mentor who basically let me say what all my current fears are (fear of failure, fear of failure and, oh, by the way, I'm quite worried, anxious even, that I might fail....................). This mentor then just told me not to be stupid and paradoxically I felt a lot better.

So, options currently stand as:
Set up alone. Risk failure and total professional humiliation. Possibly have the time of my (academic life).

Stay where I am. Certain destiny is no job within 12 months

Move to another department within my current institution. Convenient, safe, and will end up with massive teaching load, which I currently avoid.

Move to another unit within same city. Almost certainly feel comfortable, excited at new prospects and then end up shafted because I'm a women with a cute but not totally useful skill set in a male dominated domain. This option is like reverting to an old drug habit. I need to come clean.

Underwater basket weaving was always a last resort at my high school. I don't think I'll end up there just yet but it's nice to know I have real options.

1 comment:

Ms.PhD said...

Did you go to my high school? We had an underwater basketweaving after-school club.

Seriously though, it sounds like you should bite the bullet and move. At least, it sounds like that's what you think has the most potential.

I've been reading about how people make choices, and it's very interesting. Most people will avoid the situation will the most potential in favor of something that seems safer, even if statistically they would be much better off taking the risk.

Take the risk. Don't be stupid!