Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pausch and legacies

About a month ago I googled 'time management' and came across the now famed Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. I looked at his web page and kept updating it to see how he was getting on. Nothing appeared there and judging by his tumor marker values, his condition was worsening rapidly.

Today I went to the local bookstore to buy a present on the way to a seven year old's birthday party. As we waited to pay for the "worm farm extravaganza" (yes, what was that doing in a bookstore???) I spotted the book by Pausch that stemmed from his lecture at Carnegie Mellon. I am not vulnerable to impulse purchasing, but I was keen to read it.

Academic Spouse just spotted it on the sofa and mentioned that Pausch died yesterday. 47 years old with three young kids. Best go and give my little ones big hugs in the night and not sweat the 'little stuff' at work. I love what I do, but I don't think my colleagues will be at my graveside on the 10th anniversary of my death.

I'm going to have me some time off this week to get up to speed with outstanding reports, write some papers, spend some time in the sun and fresh air. Then I'm going to resign, take a holiday and start anew. It will give me some time to read my new book. RIP Professor.

No comments: