Thursday, July 31, 2008

Ripples

Confidentiality is an interesting topic. Is it human nature to gossip? I think it might be.

I received an email today from the postdoc of my EmotionalCard colleague saying that a very senior administrator in my likely next institution just told her that I was going there and bringing a team etc. Aside from the fact that of all the people in the world I DIDN'T want this news to get to prior to an official announcement, I find it perplexing that something I have requested to remain confidential has been leaked.

Why do I care about confidentiality? Because I have not told my current boss of my plans. Because I will take a good whack of the core team in the lab to set up with me. More importantly, however, I care because of the principle. I was clear in my directive that I did not want my staff or students to find out about this from other people. Of course, I have spoken to my staff and students but that's my business, not that of an administrator.

In the broader scheme of things it's really no big deal. I have just learnt though that this very senior administrator is not to be trusted.

I threw the pebble into the pond and the ripples reached the shore. The pebble should have been a clean diver with no splash. That's disappointing.

No comments: