Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tactics

In an interesting twist, my role on papers is being pushed to the backseat in favour of paid RAs because it will be "good" for their CV. This is what happens when you don't agree with your boss, right? So instead of acknowledging the work that I've contributed to the project in terms of ideas, design, setup, analysis and the like, the person who was employed to do the day to day recruitment and testing will get at least five first author papers. I am livid and shocked and amused all at once.

Academic Spouse is shell-shocked at this, probably more than I am. True, I have trouble being direct in meetings when I feel totally fragile and the most likely response I"ll have to any argument is to cry! So what I need to do is confront him and suggest that it would be "good" for my CV to have more than one paper published with him from the many (more than five...) years I've been working in his lab!

I do need to stop with the whole "woe is me" thing and i know that. I need to get mean and be strong about this. I need not to be so loyal that I set myself up for a fall like this. I need to be independent and make sure I treat people with the respect they deserve.

Devastating tactical payback for not moving with him.

1 comment:

Ms.PhD said...

I don't know the backstory, just started reading your blog (backwards).

I recommend reading:

Women Don't Ask
Ask for It
Seducing the Boys Club

You're not the only one, and it's not too late to stand up for yourself. This sounds like maybe an out-of-sight, out of mind?