Wednesday, July 2, 2008

When it rains

OK, so the drought hasn't broken. Living in a place where there's been a drought for a decade, it is very weird when it rains. Not so long ago, my daughter saw a real downpour for the first time and was utterly amazed. I let the kids stand out in it because to experience something new and wonderful is something to be cherished. I think I might even have taken photos it was such a unique experience.

This last week has seen some amazing changes in the workplace too. So the saying goes "when it rains, it pours". And so it does. I have now been contacted by another department within my current institution that has heard of my boss' departure. When I indicated that I was likely to leave the institution I was asked by the HOD to meet and chat about what I'd like to do in the future. It was a good meeting and it was interesting to hear the 'other' version of a few events that have occurred in recent years. However, it was clear that there was no money for me, much less a whole team, even though HOD felt my skill set would be useful (it also helps that I have grants, which of course bring in additional money etc).

So I left thinking it was good to have had a chat but not much hope. Yesterday, however, I got an email from HOD to say that a meeting with our Faculty's dean was held and the dean would like my CV. ME! My CV (which largely sucks, it's worth pointing out. My only publications of note in recent years are in the journal of Motherhood-101).

I feel quite pleased about this but also am not keen to drag out negotiations at NewPlace and don't have the ability to lie to this department and say I'm really keen when I'm not. BUT, what if they offered something really really amazing? Like a promotion would be pretty ace (yes, I know I'm getting ahead here).

Anyway, I haven't replied and given that HOD asked for my CV ASAP it will soon become rude. ARGH.

In other news, grant reviews arrived last night. For the first time in years, my track record wasn't trashed. I rewrote my achievements section this year and wasn't apologetic about having two kids in the midst of a post-doc. Maybe that's worked. The reviews were generally positive but I think it's unlikely that the grant will get funded. I'm going to try a kick-arse rebuttal though and maybe that will get us across the line. Crazy, this business we're in.

It rained today too apparently. Literally, that is. I didn't see it but the smell outside tonight was fresh. Having options is a nice place to be in for once.

1 comment:

hgg said...

I love rain after long dry periods (although I never experienced decades of draught)