Thursday, July 10, 2008

Papers and grants

I was asked to give a talk about alternative career paths in my clinical discipline. I tallied up the number of grants I have submitted in the past five years and it's WAY too many (more than 50). Relative to the number of papers I've submitted in the past five years, there is a clear message: My current work environment is unproductive. I have about a 20% hit rate for grants, which isn't too bad, but I'm not sure that the ratio of papers:grants is right.

So, today I submitted one paper (HURRAH) and one grant review rebuttal. The paper is likely to be rejected from the top rank journal the senior author wanted it sent to. The grant, which I submitted on a whim at the last minute, stands a chance of being funded judging by the comments we received.

I guess the impression I'm left with today is that I should trust my instincts about this stuff a bit more. That, and I also need to write more papers. SOOOOOOOOOO much data, not enough time.

1 comment:

Ms.PhD said...

Sounds like you're on the right track, and good luck on the grant (and the paper)!